Jan 9, 2009

Your site suddenly stops to save cookies?

I am currently developing an application. One of the requirements is the user to be able to change the language. I added a dropdown to hold the languages. Upon change a cookie is sent to the client with the language selected so when the user visits the site next time his / her language can be auto adjusted. It worked as a charm until today.

It suddenly stopped. I was wondering who to blame, when I saw a small baloon tooltip on the taskbar. It said I am running out of disk space ;).
I deleted my cookies in IE and everything started working correctly again.

(I just wonder if the disk space was the reason why under Firefox worked fine?)

4 comments:

cypressx said...

Funny story :)

Павелъ Дончевъ said...

Yep :)

Veselin Kolev said...

Hi,

According to the draft specification issued by Netscape Communications, the limits regarding the size of cookie and space occupied by all cookies is:

4 KB per cookie maximum
300 total cookies, for a total of 1.2 Mbytes maximum

Think of this ;)
20 cookies accepted from a particular server or domain

Павелъ Дончевъ said...

Vesko, you are probably right.
I knew there are some limitations to the numer of cookies and the maximum size of each cookie but didn't connected the dots. So I thought it may be because disk space.

I will edit the post accordingly when I have some free time.

Thanks for the reply!